The Cable Guy is a cult classic dark comedy film starring Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick. We’re going to try to recreate the outfit worn by the cable guy aka “Chip”.
First put on a cream colored crewneck t-shirt. A plain white tee would work in a pinch.
- Amazon Brand – Goodthreads Men’s Slim-Fit “The Perfect Crewneck T-Shirt” Short-Sleeve, Vintage White
- Next Level Men’s Premium Fitted Sueded Crew, Natural
Next slip on some blue coveralls.
- Red Kap Men’s Twill Action Back Coverall, Postman Blue
- Red Kap Men’s Button Front Cotton Coverall, Postman Blue
- Red Kap Men’s Snap Front Cotton Coverall, Oversized Fit, Sleeve, Postman Blue
Throw on some black work boots.
- kingshow Men’s 1366 Water Resistant Premium Work Boots
- Skechers Men’s Segment-Garnet Hiking Boot, BBK
- STQ Mens Hiking Boots Fall/Winter Slip Resistant Lace up Insulated Work Boots with Fur
- Hawkwell Men’s Steel Toe Waterproof Safety Work Boot,Black Leather
Grab a tan leather belt. Might be easier to get a belt already with pouches.
- R Dawg 11-Pocket Suede Leather Tool Bag with Adjustable Waist Strap Tool Belt for Men
- Nut Hugger 12-Pocket Suede Leather Tool Belt and Work Apron
- Task Tools T77250 Weekend Warrior Apron with Polyweb Belt, 5-Pocket
- Leather Gold Genuine Leather Framer’s Rig Tool Belt 3450 Brown
Alternatively, you could get a work belt and add on some utility/accessory pouches for a more accurate look. Slip in some tools you already own. If you don’t have any just hit up your local thrift store/dollar store. Or maybe even pick up some toy tools if you want to keep things light. Don’t forget a roll of black electrical tape!
- CLC Custom Leathercraft 9841 Leather Work Belt, 2 in. Wide
- CLC Custom Leathercraft 700 Tool Pouch, Heavy Duty, 5-Pocket, Tan
- CLC Custom Leathercraft 439 Heavy Duty Steel Loop Hammer Holder
- Custom Leathercraft 464 Heavy Duty Measuring Tape Holder, 16-30 in.,tan
- CLC Custom Leathercraft 418 Plier Tool Holder, Heavy Duty, Closed End,Tan
You can pick up a clear pocket protector and put it in one of your chest pockets. Fill it up with some pens.
- Heavy Duty Pocket Protector with Horizontal ID Badge Holder by Specialist ID
- Clear Heavy Duty Vinyl Pocket Protector with Vertical ID Card Badge Holder by Specialist ID
- Baumgartens Pocket Protectors CLEAR (46502)
You can get a custom patch embroidered with text that says “THE CABLE CO” and attach it above the opposite chest pocket. Might be able to make something by hand with scrap fabric and fabric paint if you’re in a pinch.
- Name Tag Personalized and Embroidered 4 Wide x 1.5 Tall, Royal Blue-White Border, Hook Fastener (LINE 1: THE CABLE CO, arial font)
- 2 Line Name Patch Uniform-Work Shirt Personalized Embroidered Royal with White Border (LINE 1: THE, LINE 2: CABLE CO, arial font)
- Custom Name Patch 4″ x 1″ Embroidered Iron On/Sew On Personalized (LINE 1: THE CABLE CO, Blue background, light blue border, block font)
- Custom ID Patch – 4×2, on 500 Denier Nylon Fabric with Hook Backing – Royal Blue (LINE 1: THE CABLE CO)
One accessory you can carry around would be some spare coax you probably already have. If not just grab a short cable somewhere.
- Monoprice 105359 RG6 Quad Shield CL2 Coaxial Cable with F Type Connector, 1.5Ft, Black
- RG58A/U COAX CABLE 3 foot Jumper for CB / Ham Radio – Workman CX-3-PL-PL
- GTOTd Coaxial Cable (1.5 Feet) with RG6 Coax Cable Connector (and F-Type Cable Extension Adapter) Black Coax Satellite TV 75 Ohm Cable
Another possible accessory would be a cordless drill. If you don’t feel like carrying around the real thing a toy/prop would work and most likely be a lot lighter.
- Toy Choi’s Pretend Play Series Drill Toy Tool Play Set
- Sunny Days Entertainment Maxx Action Power Tools Drill – Construction Tool with Interchangeable Bits, Ruler and ID Card
Put it all together and you’ve got yourself The Cable Guy costume. Now you’re ready for a karaoke session with your preferred customers.